Fair warning on this one – you really need to LOVE watermelon juice for the Spicy Watermelon and Gin to work! Like really, really love it. Really. And you probably should like a bit of heat, too, and even a strongly flavored and bold juniper gin.
I chose a local gin, one that focuses on juniper, peppers, and spices. Bold is an understatement! You can find lots of local and craft gins here. Generally I love these types of gins in a gin and tonic. BUT – when you have a quiet and soft flavor like watermelon, the tones of a bold gin can come out. And these flavors also work really well with a habenero bitter!
Spicy Watermelon and Gin
- 4 Oz. Watermelon juice
- 2 Oz. Gin
- 20 Drops Habenero bitters
- To make the watermelon juice, blenderize seedless watermelon. If you fill the blender, you end up with PLENTY of juice for a few of these cocktails.
- Strain and strain and strain the watermelon juice. Then it's ready to go!
- Combine your watermelon juice and gin with ice in your shaker.
- Shake it up!
- Add your drops of habanero bitters to taste.
How to make your own juice for the Spicy Watermelon and Gin drink.
It’s crazy easy to make your own watermelon juice. Use a seedless variety, or spend inordinate amounts of time picking the black seeds out of the melon. Then you just blend it up – nothing could be easier.
It’s really prudent to strain this juice twice, just to make it as smooth as possible. There’s also the option of not straining things at all, if pulp is your particular jam.