I’m a particular fan of the “buck” style drinks, mostly because they are lighter and usually have some sort of ginger beer in them. This Lavender and Grapefruit Buck does just that. It’s an easy cocktail to make, and honestly, is really delicious without being too heavy on the alcohol content.
You can, if you like, use an alcoholic ginger beer, but there’s no need here. This gin cocktail is simply gin, of which there are dozens of options of flavors. London dry gin is the best style for this cocktail, and there are loads of great ones. You’ll also need grapefruit juice, lavender syrup, and your pick of ginger beer. Reed’s is a great ginger beer that’s easy to find.
Lavender and Grapefruit Buck Gin Cockatil
- .5 Oz. Lavender cocktail syrup
- 1.5 Oz. Grapefruit juice
- 1.5 Oz. Gin
- 1.5 Oz. Ginger beer
- Build this drink in your glass!
- Fill a collins glass, or pint glass, with ice.
- Add your gin, lavender syrup, and grapefruit juice.
- Stir with your cocktail bar spoon.
- Top with your choice of ginger beer and give one last swish around with your barspoon.
If you need to make your own lavender syrup, here’s the recipe for that. You can also buy some lavender syrup and have it land on your doorstep!
Fresh Lavender Syrup for Cocktails
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lavender blossoms
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2-5 Whole Blueberries
- Start by "plucking" the tiny blossoms from fresh lavender flowers. Collect 1 tablespoon's worth.
- Combine your blossoms, water, and sugar into a saucepan or small pot.
- Add some whole blueberries if you want a deeper color to your finished syrup.
- Bring all of this to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
- Strain and funnel into a glass container.
- Store in the fridge.
Ideas for the Lavender and Grapefruit Buck
Honestly, I don’t have any. This drink is just fine as is. I suppose you could up the gin or lighten up on the gin, or any of the other flavors as well.
There’s also a similar drink, the Grapefruit and Lavender Martini, which is also quite delightful. No punch of ginger beer, though.
Cheers, and make good decisions!