Before your next decadent meal, make yourself a Gin and Lavender Apéritif to really get ready. The apéritif is a pre-dinner cocktail, designed to be a bit bitter and strong and get your appetite going. The famous Negroni, or even the White Negroni, are the classic examples here. This recipe is decidedly milder, but just as amazing.
The beauty of this drink is that is celebrates Cocchi Americano and gin, a combination that works so well together. Add in some floral flavors from the lavender syrup and tie it all together with some easy and fresh lemon juice. Incidentally, you should make your own lavender syrup (recipe below) if you are so inclined.
Gin and Lavender Apéritif
- 1.5 Oz. Gin
- .75 Oz. Cocchi Americano
- .75 Oz. Lemon juice
- .75 Oz. Lavender syrup
- Lavender sprigs to garnish
- Combine all of your ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice!
- Shake vigorously.
- Strain into a coupe glass.
- Garnish with fresh or dried lavender sprigs.
For homemade lavender syrup, this recipe is for you:
Fresh Lavender Syrup for Cocktails
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh lavender blossoms
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- 2-5 Whole Blueberries
- Start by "plucking" the tiny blossoms from fresh lavender flowers. Collect 1 tablespoon's worth.
- Combine your blossoms, water, and sugar into a saucepan or small pot.
- Add some whole blueberries if you want a deeper color to your finished syrup.
- Bring all of this to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and cool thoroughly.
- Strain and funnel into a glass container.
- Store in the fridge.
Notes on the Gin and Lavender Apéritif
If you make your own lavender syrup, as you should, add as many blueberries to the saucepan as you like. More blueberries equal more purple color.
If purple color is also your thing when it comes to magic color changing drinks, Empress 1908 gin is your go-to. This vibrant gin stays deep purple until something acidic is added, such as lemon juice. Then it becomes a cool shade of pink. Always good for a party trick.
Cheers, and make good choices!